Couscous Salad with Tomatoes, Spring Onions and Peppers
Posted in: Recipes - Thursday, August 12 2010
Easy salad – you can vary the vegetables to whatever you fancy and what’s in season. Great for vegetarians, since the protein in the chickpeas and the couscous compliment each other to make up a complete nutritious meal.
- 225g/8oz couscous
- 300mls/1/2pt hot vegetable stock or water (approx)
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 red and 1 green pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 bunch red spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- Sprig of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half an organic lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, torn, or use snipped chives
Place the couscous in a bowl and pour over hot water or stock to just cover the surface. Leave until absorbed – about ten minutes or so. Fluff up the grains with a fork.. Transfer to a bowl and add chickpeas, peppers, spring onions and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle generously with olive oil and squeeze over lemon. Season and stir in coriander or chives.